female president

View previous topic View next topic Go down

female president

Post  hector on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 am

Dear Older Sisters,

I am a student at Palo Alto College in San Antonio, TX. I am taking a Sociology class called Marriage and Family and the chapter we are studying about is called Understanding Gender. cyclops My question to you is, do you think our society is ready for a women president?

Thank you for your time,
Hector

hector

Back to top Go down

female president

Post  oldersister on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Hector,

What is very interesting about this topic is most of America says they don't take issue with a female president but I keep hearing "The USA is okay with it but not the rest of the world and we need someone that can negotiate internationally". Sounds like a convenient excuse to me, When has our country ever had a problem being on the cutting edge? I mean, we thrive and pay big bucks to enforce our beliefs on other countries to the point where it comes off arrogant.
One of my Political Science professors back in college once said "we will have a female president before we have a black president".
There is an invisible heirarchy in the US where Caucasian men are at the top followed by Caucasian women coming in 2nd. Black men came in 2nd to last and at the bottom...poor, uneducated white people (apparently they are perceived to have no excuses in the society to not be successful). You can look at the national gross income levels (comparing average pay for same job across different ethnicities/sexes and this will give you how society perceives who is most/least valuable.
It saddens me to say that I don't think we are ready for a female president but I do have my fingers crossed!! Unfortunately, women still don't vote as much as men do (another indicator that we may not be ready). If we do have a black president before a woman, we will see a subtle shift in that totem pole and this will have an effect on all women in general. However, the good news would be a larger acceptance for minorities in general which will be a milestone for some and either an acceptance or irritant to others.
We shall see!!

Ask oldersister
oldersister
Admin

View user profile http://oldersister.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top