Need Help!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need Help!!

Post  T_wood on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:42 am

What are the best strategies for a single mother raising a teenage son. My son has been comparing me to his dad more than I care to hear. Keep in mind his father earns more money than I do, Furthermore, there are two incomes at my son's father's house, and their work-day ends at 5:00 p.m. I on the other hand have two younger daughters at home as well. I am also working toward my Bachelor's degree in addition to working a full time job. Thus, my schedule is very hectic. I have joint custody of my son. He alternates weeks with his father and me. I wish my son could see the sacrifices I make every day for him.

Sincerely,
Misunderstood

T_wood

Back to top Go down

teenager

Post  rachael on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:43 am

Dear Misunderstood,
I hope your ex-husband isn't feeding your son with negative ideas about your abilities as a parent due to your financial situation. As long as you are providing the necessities (food, shelter, clothes and lots of love) for your kids, you are doing your job. Your son is lucky to have even one parent who is doing well financially. Hopefully, he can appreciate that many families (and that includes two parent families), struggle just to pay ordinary expenses. If you and your ex are able to communicate about parenting, perhaps a lesson in economics is in order. If your son fulfills his weekly obligations, whether they be household chores, or just completing homework, being home on time -- whatever your agreed expectations are, I recommend a realistic allowance that can be used for "extras", like going out with friends, special clothes items that go beyond reasonable needs, etc. If we, as parents, train our kids to expect to receive everything they ask for without working for anything, then we are not preparing them for the real world.

your oldersister

rachael

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum